Sunday, September 26, 2010

First “New Music in the Library” Concert: Broadview Public Library, September 26th, 2010

Waaaa!! Nobody showed up for this "open mike"! No other musicians, no audience. Also, the advertisement had been inexplicably removed from the library bulletin board some time during the week (none of the librarians knew who had taken it down). As a “new music” artist, this is the type of apathy I expect from record producers and radio stations – but I’ve never seen it in musicians or (non-)audiences. Probably the short notice (and disappearing ad) scuttled it. I’ll have to see what happens with the next two of these concerts (I may have to sign up for Twitter before then).

The day was not a total loss musically. I managed to play a twenty-minute solo improvisation, on hammer dulcimer with prerecorded electronics (a variant of one of the StormSound pieces). I used some of George Crumb’s piano techniques on the dulcimer, though the piece is generally in a sparse style reminiscent of Gust Burns' "silent" music. I recorded it; it is not a professional recording by any means, but I’ll offer it free for anyone who wants to hear it. Write to me at eskribby@gmail.com and I’ll send you a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment