Monday, February 7, 2011

Second of Two Upcoming Concerts: Feb. 9th (Wednesday) at Jack Straw Studios

What: Talk about the upcoming complete performance of the “StormSound” Cycle (with examples, performed both live and prerecorded)

When: 7:30 PM, Wednesday, February 9th

Where: Jack Straw Studios, 4261 Roosevelt Way N.E. Seattle, WA 98105.
FREE.

More info here.

A couple of weeks ago I received an email saying that I’d been “on the radar” for some time now, that I had been recommended (Thanx, Keith!), and asking if I’d like to give a presentation at the Seattle Composers’ Spotlight. I took them up on the offer.

This will not be a concert in the usual sense, but a lecture/presentation about my music – particularly the “StormSound” Cycle. I’ll post the complete text of my lecture here after the presentation. There will be examples of the music, both played live and prerecorded; and of course the “StormSound” pieces are a combination of both anyway. I will also show some examples of the graphic scores (and some of my other artwork), and talk about the theories behind the “StormSound” cycle and related music. John Cage fans, however, be very slightly afraid – although Cage is one of my major influences, at some point during the lecture I will give him a little snub, though not really – it appears to me that he beautifully and eloquently disproved his own theories and one of the ideas behind the “StormSound” pieces is to show how that is so.

Time providing, I will also play a complete piano version of one of the “StormSound” pieces.

Shameless self-promotion? Perhaps. But, musicians (like all artists) need to promote their work. This is a chance to talk about mine.

(This posting is on 2/7/2011; 106 days until the first performance of the complete "StormSound" Cycle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment